20th or 21st?
Well this thought came to me a couple of days ago with respect to which century I belong to. Why now? Why this existential question? All this talk about India becoming a huge Global Power and the US of A trying to dovetail with India, since India is the world's largest democracy. I mean all this news, media coverage, Bollywood cinema and all this talk about India! And where am I? Not in India, but in the US... Dont, get me wrong, I am not regretful, but I am pensive.
So the question, do I feel like I belong to the 20th century or the 21st century?In the 20th century, we got our Independence, Gandhi happened, liberalisation happened, Y2K happened, (mostly) arranged marriages happened, Kashmir (and all the sad things to go with it) happened, etc., but, majority Indians did not feel quite proud of belonging to the Indian Origin, they wanted to come to the US and be a part of another democracy.
In the 21st century, something radical has changed in those majority Indians...The same people that left the country for jobs and a better standard of living are now wanting to go back, wanting to be a part of the New India with the 4th largest in Purchasing Power Parity, where (mostly) Love marriages or (arranged) Marriages of convenience happen, where Bollywood cinema is the world's 2nd largest film industry.
Although the economic situation has immensely improved from 20th to 21st, the political system actually has only worsened (it might have improved in parts, but I am speaking for the overall country) .But, there is a union that has come about right now and a new sense of patriotism that is springing that was absent during the 55 years post independence in India.
So the question...
I was born in the 20th century and spent 20 years there...and now having spent only 6 years in the 21st century, I dont know if it is a fair question to ask myself. I see myself meshing through the 2 centuries seamlessly, just to realise - whether it is the 20th century or the 21st - I am just proud of where I came from! If it wasn't for the movement in time, I would have never got where I am today...and I like where I am, not in place, just in time.


3 Comments:
HD, A very thoughtful post. I for one have not really pondered this question, certainly not the way you did.
Anyways I agree with you about the "talk" about India becoming a global power and the improved relationship b/t us and India.
This is partly borne out of neccesity. India is a huge market, outsourcing, counter to China and it does not hurt that it is a large but raucous democracy.
Indians did not feel quite proud of belonging to the Indian Origin, they wanted to come to the US and be a part of another democracy.
Not sure if pride was the reason, I think it was more to do with the fact that the system sucked and the best chance to improve ones lot was offered by the US a democracy too.
As for the reasons to go back. Yes the ones you mention are surely some of them, but I don't think the picture is that simple. I don't know what the statistics are for those going back. Is it a significant number? I concur that the economic opportunities now available are many more. But then a billion Indians also realize that and want to be a part of it too. There is also a concern that a lot of this growth is driven by IT outsourcing and even the IT biggies in India are concerned that the pace will slow in the future.
I don't know that having the 2nd largest movie industry counts for much given that a lot of those films are not watchable for most non Indians and hard to relate to from their cultural POV. However a genuinely good movie can transcend those barriers as Satyajit Ray's films did.
I believe more than purchasing power it is the GDP that really adds to the muscle once that jumps up then it is a bigger factor. Mind you I am not dismissing the millions who make up India's middle class.
The one disadvantage that India has is unlike China it does not hold much US treasury notes. Look out in a few years time China will have the cards to play given the fiscal train wreck that is currently full speed ahead under this administration.
I don't follow news from India as closely as perhaps you do. Maybe people have just gotten pragmatic and realize that they want to do better and the government best not get in the way. Also if the political system
worsens will it not be a destabilizing influence? Or you think Indians might ignore and just decide to grow like communist China (make your money just don't ask for political right and certain freedoms)?
I liked the way you said where you are in time. I do to think so to except to me the future is worrisome, the environment/climate change and energy issues are gathering storm clouds.
PS: I hope my comment is not lnger than your post. :)
I also put up a different post. I might put up the restaurant post probably some time tomorrow.
Also did you read about The Vishwanathan woman (Harvard) student who got htis fat book deal and is now thought you have picked off atleast 40 paragraphs/snippets from another book?
I just read up on Kaavya Vishwanathan, 17, the girl that is accused of plagiarism...thanks for bringing that to my attention...! Wow, I really do not trust what I read so far...seems to me like it was all a huge money making stunt! I guess the publisher must have thought they would go scot free! Sounds to me like the girl was a little naiive...or what was she thinking, people won't realise that her stuff is stolen??
Anyway...
coming to the Bollywood as the subject - the reason I mentioned it is it is the 2nd largest for the revenue it generates...so by that I am saying that not only is India starting to make tons of money in the IT sector, there are other creative ways these days to do it too...with the advantage of Bollywood having added visibility...
You are right about China, it is definitely in a stronger position when it comes to GDP compared to India...but is it a democracy? However corrupt the politicians are (we will come to that subject a little later), India is still a democracy and that makes it a much favourable place to live in...
As for the corrupt politicians, well the youth and the future of India would have to decide on what the heck they want the country to be like 50 years from now (that includes me too!!) and lets hope its not what it has been like the last 50 years...
Yes I read something on Indian Express about the change in notion and perception of India for NRIs...could be just a marketing gig for India, in general...but they had posted some opinions of people...
Thanks for your comments...appreciate it.
I read that Kaavya might have a movie deal for the book with Dreamworks? Not sure how this plays out now.
Also while conceding that Bollywood may be the second largest rev generator. How much of the money moves thru legal channels. Wasn't the mob involved in it? It is always known to be one of the channels to launder money too.
Post a Comment
<< Home