Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Spelling Bee




















There was never so much nationwide emphasis on winning a spelling contest in India, growing up. There have been a series of advertisements and documentaries on the Spelling Bee last couple of months in the US and it facinates me to see how this country can do wonders in motivating a little kid to participate in something that could be so academic as learning to spell! Nothing wrong with the academics, its just that US doesnt necessarily rank high on it compared to the schooling/education system in other countries.

There is a new movie
Akeelah and the Bee based on the spelling contest, aka, Spelling Bee! Apparently there have been other movies such as Spellbound, musicals such as Spelling Bee, the musical on this subject. Quite interesting!

Last year,
Anurag Kashyap was the top finisher in the contest. Of Indian origin...FYI-

So I will leave you all with a little tongue twister that we all once learned in school

Hmmm, SuperCaliFa...
No, SuperCaliFragelis?
No no, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ?
Yes Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious !!
Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious
If you say it loud enough, you'll always sound precocious.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidociuos!


You have to spell it too :)

8 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Paavany said...

Supercalifragilisticexpialidociuos.....There.

Anyways, you are right. Ever since we had the conversation about Akeelah and the Bee, I have been running into the poster at every nook and corner! I belive a number of Asians have been doing really well in these kinds of contests.It is nice to see a mammoth like education institution react to comptetion.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger hopefuldisposition said...

Good Job PJ!!

Tomorrow we will start working on some other words :)

 
At 4:14 AM, Blogger karmic said...

Good post. Althought he US does not rank high in some of these criteria, I have to say there are isalnds of excellence. Some of these cos of the schools, the parents and the teachers.
And actually spellbound is a documentary while Akeelah is a movie. I saw the trailer for Akeelah and it sounds interesting so might watch.
If you have not seen spellbound it is highly recommended. One of the semifinalists was actually a girl from the next town when we lived in CT which sort of made the movie more fun.
wordsmith.org is also a good site to read.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Paavany said...

Haha..considering you asked me what "ala" is ...hehe.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger hopefuldisposition said...

I did not ask you how to spell it? -PJ

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger hopefuldisposition said...

Karmic: I havent seen Spellbound, I googled a bit on it...I plan on watching Akeelah and I mostly will watch Spellbound before that.
You are right about pockets of excellence - I know the Cupertino School District in CA is awesome, I know some kids that go there, they are brilliant...! I will check out wordsmith.org, thanks for that tip.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger karmic said...

HD. wordsmith.org is run by a guy called Anu Garg. I think he is based out of Seattle. I read about him in the NY Times. Interesting that a site liek that is run by an immigrant of India eh?
Later...

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger hopefuldisposition said...

Well given the fact that we were all under such influence of the "English" (pun intended), it doesnt surprise me at all :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home