Monday, May 22, 2006

To report the 3rd day, I've logged in through apparently the wireless internet that was available from the room which the front desk told us was not available on the 1st day...so basically we chorufied the IN :)

So our walk down Taksim Square ctd...yesterday afternoon along with the 5 hour tour of Bosphorus. We took a tram from Sultanahmet to Eminonou and then took the ferry to Anadolu Kavagi and this was the 1st time we set foot on the Asian side! It was not much different from Istanbul Europe except it seemed a little less affluent, less fancy and commercialised with the main focus on food, especially fish...

Below you see the pretty homes lining the coast of the passage of waters between the seas...this is full of palace like looking homes with beautiful patios and gorgeous pavements...

That is Bosphorus right behind me there on the left. Our 5 hour journey was very entertaining with live animated conversations with a couple from Uzbekistan who were on a (textile) business trip to Istanbul...


We got off the ferry and tried to walk up to a fort in the Kavagi area, but it was a steep and long walk and we were not sure if we would make it back to the ferry to return in time... but we did take some really pretty shots from above... the entire walkways in that area were cobblestoned.. which was quit picturesque...


Later that day we walked down Taksim again and it was plenty of young couples either married or just dating...but were not uncomfortable about public display of affection...

I quickly should put up pictures of some of the good food we ate...This is the chai we drank and it is usually served like that in a transparent glass...really strong~ The food is from this place called Otantik and it is probably the cheapest and best vegetarian food we ate in Istanbul...


Then ofcourse we ate some real nice authentic Turkish vegetarian food...We ate at the Bodrum and Lale Restaurant in the Sultanahmet area...there are quite a few good restaurants but one must be prepared to pay atleast 12-13 Turkish Lira for a meal per person... It is not cheap, but you could get away by eating light food for other meals...

Alright, it is almost midnight here in Istanbul and I probably should go to bed now but if I had more time I would have written in detail about a few more experiences but I will save that for the end of the trip or for blogging from Seattle.

Good Night~

HD

2 Comments:

At 5:20 AM, Blogger karmic said...

Great pics. Turkish food is neat, esp the meat dishes (if you like emat that is). I am sure it is lot better than the Turkish food we get in the US.
Loved the cobblestones.
I am not surprised at the open display of affection among the Turkish couples. I knew a few of these while we lived in CT and they said they were a fairly open and Westernized society esp in the big cities. But then you are the person on the ground and know better.
Have fun, keep posting when you can.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger hopefuldisposition said...

Hey

As I write to you guys here, I am watching the sunset at Santorini in Greece and I have taken a few pictures of that and want to post that but before that I do have to post pictures of the Acropolis...which I was not really too impressed with...but I will say no more...The pictures have come out great...but the structure itself is no big deal...

Yes Turkey culture is a bit of a mix of both - Old and New...Old consists of the mosque going folks with covered heads...and New consists of skimpily clad women clinging off of guys...walking around...and both coexist pretty peacefully...We were a bit confused initially but settled in quick as soon as we got the hang of whos who...
I have so much more to write and so little time and besides my fingers are tired - I havent eaten lunch today...so off I am to get some food...I will catch you again soon!

Ash,

I will write to you in detail tonight.

-HD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home