Being lazy. I read this at Chandni's place. and my comment there is pasted below. :) It’s a nice post. But I am no fan of some of these “surveys”, stats can be massaged to suit whatever one may be trying to get at. Since all this also has to be looked at thru the prism of cultural differeces (as you so rightly pointed out), living conditions and a few others generalizations are usually not apt.
Like you having lived in Bbay and NYC and a few other cities int he US, I have to say bombay fails ont he 2 criteria you mentioned. There was one more they might have added. The habit some men have of talking to you while scratching their crotch or ass. I mean what the heck is with that? Saw it a lot in Bombay and it did not matter to the men in concern that they were talking to a woman. They might also have added “being stared at”, though this might fall in courtey and being rude. That is something that always bothered me and sort of still does. I am sure you get a lot more of that then men. I don’t celebrate birthdays so I have to think real hard at the last time the issue came up and I just came up empty. As for our American friends here who we go out with often, we just have a informal system where sometimes we split the bill or we pick it all up and sometimes it’s them. I think we are lucky to have friends like these, where we think the pleasure and fun we bring to each others lives make it easy to get past some of these things suc as how doe we do the tab? But we also knew people who would want to pay only quarter for a shared item on the menu cos you know they ate only a quarter of that item. *sigh* Needless to say we don’t hang out much. I agree to that in general Indians are less courteous than the west. Sorry abotu the long comment, it was than my 2 cents mroe like 2 bucks
Ha ha, those men in Bombay!!!! :) It is just too damn funny that you brought that up!!! I am already sore from my workouts and now this is just giving me a tummy ache...
I have to add...on a scale if US is on one end, Mumbai on the other...all European big cities are in the middle...Having just got back from Athens...it was shocking to realise that the politeness that you get in the US is not something you can expect there...you are never going to get it!!!! I mean Europe I thought would be a polite place for Godsake!!!
Yes every country is different...and they have their own cultural nuances within...like North India is so different from South India...but thats what makes the world an interesting place :) DO they want people everywhere to act and behave the alike?? If people in NYC were like the people in London and the people in Bombay were to follow...we would all be just robots!!! I actually appreciate and enjoy those differences in humans...
3 Comments:
Being lazy. I read this at Chandni's place. and my comment there is pasted below. :)
It’s a nice post. But I am no fan of some of these “surveys”, stats can be massaged to suit whatever one may be trying to get at. Since all this also has to be looked at thru the prism of cultural differeces (as you so rightly pointed out), living conditions and a few others generalizations are usually not apt.
Like you having lived in Bbay and NYC and a few other cities int he US, I have to say bombay fails ont he 2 criteria you mentioned. There was one more they might have added. The habit some men have of talking to you while scratching their crotch or ass. I mean what the heck is with that? Saw it a lot in Bombay and it did not matter to the men in concern that they were talking to a woman.
They might also have added “being stared at”, though this might fall in courtey and being rude. That is something that always bothered me and sort of still does. I am sure you get a lot more of that then men.
I don’t celebrate birthdays so I have to think real hard at the last time the issue came up and I just came up empty.
As for our American friends here who we go out with often, we just have a informal system where sometimes we split the bill or we pick it all up and sometimes it’s them. I think we are lucky to have friends like these, where we think the pleasure and fun we bring to each others lives make it easy to get past some of these things suc as how doe we do the tab?
But we also knew people who would want to pay only quarter for a shared item on the menu cos you know they ate only a quarter of that item. *sigh* Needless to say we don’t hang out much.
I agree to that in general Indians are less courteous than the west.
Sorry abotu the long comment, it was than my 2 cents mroe like 2 bucks
Ha ha, those men in Bombay!!!! :) It is just too damn funny that you brought that up!!! I am already sore from my workouts and now this is just giving me a tummy ache...
I have to add...on a scale if US is on one end, Mumbai on the other...all European big cities are in the middle...Having just got back from Athens...it was shocking to realise that the politeness that you get in the US is not something you can expect there...you are never going to get it!!!! I mean Europe I thought would be a polite place for Godsake!!!
Yes every country is different...and they have their own cultural nuances within...like North India is so different from South India...but thats what makes the world an interesting place :)
DO they want people everywhere to act and behave the alike?? If people in NYC were like the people in London and the people in Bombay were to follow...we would all be just robots!!! I actually appreciate and enjoy those differences in humans...
I agree with your point that you don't want the whole world be like the same.
Greece though is probably not as polished a place as say Denmark? So yep as you point out the variations are amazing too.
Post a Comment
<< Home